Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capital Beach Amusement Park!!

You don't need a 9" with 1TPP 1slows10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Capital Beach Amusement Park!!

I need some info on this park. I know it ran from 1906-1950's.

Google Has failed me so im asking you guys!

Basically i have this old carousel horse that my dad bought about 15 years ago. The rumor was 15 years ago it came from that amusement park. Well we pulled it out of storage today and i did some research and i found out that If its the real deal it could be worth tons of money. Anyways if anyone has some info or maybe some pics of the old carousel at the capital beach amusement park that would be amazing! Im basically looking for any info people have!

here are a few picks of the horse
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

the rumor is theres only about 10 of these horses that made it out of the amusement park after it was torn down

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Just drive around and blip the throttle. That always works.
    MattFC3s Blocked Club: Member #1

http://i.imgur.com/IJETPZB.jpg
    Team DTF Two Wheel Crew - Member 002

Post Thanks / Like

That's funny. I just found out there was an Amusement Park there too this afternoon. I got bored at work and started looking up salt lake and capitol beach to see if there was anything interesting about it. Didn't find much except for this article

A January 1985 editorial in the Lincoln Star summarized the lake's history: "The lake has gone from great expectations to broken dreams, from romantic gaiety to a public image of virtual nothingness, from 1960s skepticism to 1970s grudging admiration, to grave uncertainty and is now on the brink of final vindication. The story of Capitol Beach is apt to remain one of the most unusual in the annals of Lincoln's history."

The area known over the years as Chester Basin, The Great Basin, Gregory Basin, Burlington Beach and Salt Lake has a long and complicated history, according to newspaper reports.

Salt first made the area famous. By the early 1860s, several companies were extracting salt. When that industry declined, the water attracted people in the late 1880s who felt it had curative benefits.

By 1895 a dike channeled Oak Creek water into a lake, and Burlington Lake was born.

It was a time when the area was a showcase -- Lincoln's Coney Island, some called it. William McKinley made a presidential campaign speech there in 1896. Steamboat rides carried as many as 50 people. The area provided several decades worth of entertainment. Carnival rides, a saltwater swimming area, a park, a ballroom, a wooden roller coaster, a fun house and electric bumper cars all had their heyday at one time or another in the lake's history.

Although Salt Lake was drained in the late 1950s to make way for the interstate, it wasn't gone for long. In June 1961, the S.E. Copple family announced plans for a 350-acre boating lake featuring docks, boating facilities and site for lakeside summer homes. Four years later, some 25 homes had been built or were under construction on the lake's west shore.

During the early 1970s, a donation from Copple helped the lake become the training ground for Nebraska's mythical Navy, members of the University of Nebraska Crew team.

Perhaps the biggest plans were laid in September 1972, when developer Ed Copple won city approval to build 974 apartments and townhouses on 63 acres.

The proposed development turned complicated in 1983 when Commonwealth Savings went under because S.E. Copple had shifted his 75 percent interest in Capitol Beach Inc. to Commonwealth Savings Co. Capitol Beach Inc. owned most of the lots and paid for street lighting, snow removal and the lake's maintenance.

Homeowners spent many troubling months wondering what to do, how to buy their land and where their lot lines were. Eventually homeowners organized themselves to buy their lots and to take over lake maintenance.
    I'm curious to know how big salt lake was prior to the late 50's when they drained it for the interstate. I'm wondering if it use to be a lot larger and run all over the airport area as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it was about a 1/3 larger according to this. Would be cool to see some pics

http://wikimapia.org/11675497/Burlington-Lake-former

pegarle bolsa
    Post Thanks / Like

Journal star did an article on it some time back. Maybe check the archives.

I drive a Kia, my opinion is invalid. Brooky2.0's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kries View Post
    Wanna read how lame your car was when new? Click HERE.

SCR 32 Valve 4 Life Club- member #002
    2013 Optima SX
    2003 DSG Mach 1
    2001 *RARE* Taurus
    1989 Taurus SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    SHO me your dick.

I have a TURBONER
    Post Thanks / Like

there used to be a bunch of crap left until they tore it all down to build apartments in the 90's. There was the old wooden pool about 50 yards from the back of our house I grew up in. There was also some other smaller items. My parents had collected some random items from the park, they don't come around often though...

pretty badass but I doubt it's worth "a ton of money"

Quote Originally Posted by Grassmaster View Post

I could see someone calling me fat.

Post Thanks / Like

As a kid I went there often, the water in the pool was so salty you could float easily, the pool was built like the old Muni pool with a concrete beach. I have good memories of the fun house, I spent hours there. It was a big deal that there was a spot on the floor coming in were compressed air would blow the girls skirts up. I also remember playing bumper cars. I must be old as dirt, learned to waterski at Oak Lake before the interstate went in and it got all cut up and filled in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kries View Post

Resident Angry Bastard supercrackerbox's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mazdadan View Post
    If it's authentic and he can come up with proof to back it up, I'd bet it's quite valuable. People pay crazy money for crazy shit.

Balancing hope for a better world against the desire to fuck everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazdadan View Post
    If it's authentic and he can come up with proof to back it up, I'd bet it's quite valuable. People pay crazy money for crazy shit.
    Thanks Captain Obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by imprt_tuner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    right, it's far more likely that the salvage title and alignment being off are completely unrelated and that you just didn't have $70 to get the car aligned.
    actually it is because the car has different rims on it fucktard
    Quote Originally Posted by Burntz
    Oh fuck off, typing fast not givinafuckkk

Post Thanks / Like

my dad just found out as of yesterday that this is indeed one from the amusement park! crazy crazy coincidence!

anyways hes getting it appraised today to get it up and sold! cant wait to see what the appraisel ends up being...the word has it there was only 10 total that made it out from the park and one of them sold 2 years ago in worse shape then my dads for 42k! so basically my dad is totally stoked

if anyone is actually interested in this ill post updates on what happens

Resident Angry Bastard supercrackerbox's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be interested.

Balancing hope for a better world against the desire to fuck everything.

Whore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1slows10 View Post
    my dad just found out as of yesterday that this is indeed one from the amusement park! crazy crazy coincidence!

anyways hes getting it appraised today to get it up and sold! cant wait to see what the appraisel ends up being...the word has it there was only 10 total that made it out from the park and one of them sold 2 years ago in worse shape then my dads for 42k! so basically my dad is totally stoked

if anyone is actually interested in this ill post updates on what happens
    42k for a fucking carousel horse wtf.

On the 4th page of this PDA document, It say's that they can sell up to 60k.
    http://www.capitolbeachlake.com/News.../2070LCBCA.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Now why the hell wouldn't a bumper car sell for more than a carousel horse?

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently these horses were originally hand painted by some big artist back in the day

Post Thanks / Like

I went to lakeview school there and had some old guy talk to us about that amusement park. Too bad lincoln sucks now and doesn't think about fun things that bring in revenue like another theme park.

Spoon
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer View Post
    I went to lakeview school there and had some old guy talk to us about that amusement park. Too bad lincoln sucks now and doesn't think about fun things that bring in revenue like another theme park.
    Yeah, it's too bad a drag strip wouldn't bring in that kind of revenue.

Thread Information