Go Back   StarCity Racing > Garage > Off Topic

Off Topic For everything else.... please title NWS when needed.

StarCity Racing Sponsor

Old 21st September 2010, 07:29 PM   #1
1slows10
You don't need a 9" with 1TPP

1slows10 1slows10 1slows10 1slows10 1slows10 1slows10 1slows10 1slows10 1slows10 1slows10 1slows10
Default Capital Beach Amusement Park!!

I need some info on this park. I know it ran from 1906-1950's.

Google Has failed me so im asking you guys!

Basically i have this old carousel horse that my dad bought about 15 years ago. The rumor was 15 years ago it came from that amusement park. Well we pulled it out of storage today and i did some research and i found out that If its the real deal it could be worth tons of money. Anyways if anyone has some info or maybe some pics of the old carousel at the capital beach amusement park that would be amazing! Im basically looking for any info people have!

here are a few picks of the horse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horse.jpg (85.4 KB, 23 views)
Highslide JS
File Type: jpg horse 3.jpg (58.3 KB, 14 views)
Highslide JS
File Type: jpg horse 2.jpg (78.3 KB, 14 views)
Highslide JS
Old 21st September 2010, 07:30 PM   #2
1slows10

1slows10 1slows10 1slows10 1slows10 1slows10 1slows10 1slows10 1slows10 1slows10 1slows10 1slows10

the rumor is theres only about 10 of these horses that made it out of the amusement park after it was torn down
Old 21st September 2010, 07:45 PM   #3
coz
The Original FC3S Matt

coz has so much reputation he poops rainbows!coz has so much reputation he poops rainbows!coz has so much reputation he poops rainbows!coz has so much reputation he poops rainbows!coz has so much reputation he poops rainbows!coz has so much reputation he poops rainbows!coz has so much reputation he poops rainbows!coz has so much reputation he poops rainbows!coz has so much reputation he poops rainbows!coz has so much reputation he poops rainbows!coz has so much reputation he poops rainbows!

coz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 07:47 PM   #4
Kries
Thread Ruiner #2

Kries has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Kries has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Kries has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Kries has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Kries has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Kries has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Kries has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Kries has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Kries has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Kries has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Kries has so much reputation he poops rainbows!

Just drive around and blip the throttle. That always works.
MattFC3s Blocked Club: Member #1

http://i.imgur.com/IJETPZB.jpg
Team DTF Two Wheel Crew - Member 002
Kries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 07:52 PM   #5
roo6.2
L67 Race Tech

roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!

That's funny. I just found out there was an Amusement Park there too this afternoon. I got bored at work and started looking up salt lake and capitol beach to see if there was anything interesting about it. Didn't find much except for this article

Quote:
A January 1985 editorial in the Lincoln Star summarized the lake's history: "The lake has gone from great expectations to broken dreams, from romantic gaiety to a public image of virtual nothingness, from 1960s skepticism to 1970s grudging admiration, to grave uncertainty and is now on the brink of final vindication. The story of Capitol Beach is apt to remain one of the most unusual in the annals of Lincoln's history."

The area known over the years as Chester Basin, The Great Basin, Gregory Basin, Burlington Beach and Salt Lake has a long and complicated history, according to newspaper reports.

Salt first made the area famous. By the early 1860s, several companies were extracting salt. When that industry declined, the water attracted people in the late 1880s who felt it had curative benefits.

By 1895 a dike channeled Oak Creek water into a lake, and Burlington Lake was born.

It was a time when the area was a showcase -- Lincoln's Coney Island, some called it. William McKinley made a presidential campaign speech there in 1896. Steamboat rides carried as many as 50 people. The area provided several decades worth of entertainment. Carnival rides, a saltwater swimming area, a park, a ballroom, a wooden roller coaster, a fun house and electric bumper cars all had their heyday at one time or another in the lake's history.

Although Salt Lake was drained in the late 1950s to make way for the interstate, it wasn't gone for long. In June 1961, the S.E. Copple family announced plans for a 350-acre boating lake featuring docks, boating facilities and site for lakeside summer homes. Four years later, some 25 homes had been built or were under construction on the lake's west shore.

During the early 1970s, a donation from Copple helped the lake become the training ground for Nebraska's mythical Navy, members of the University of Nebraska Crew team.

Perhaps the biggest plans were laid in September 1972, when developer Ed Copple won city approval to build 974 apartments and townhouses on 63 acres.

The proposed development turned complicated in 1983 when Commonwealth Savings went under because S.E. Copple had shifted his 75 percent interest in Capitol Beach Inc. to Commonwealth Savings Co. Capitol Beach Inc. owned most of the lots and paid for street lighting, snow removal and the lake's maintenance.

Homeowners spent many troubling months wondering what to do, how to buy their land and where their lot lines were. Eventually homeowners organized themselves to buy their lots and to take over lake maintenance.
I'm curious to know how big salt lake was prior to the late 50's when they drained it for the interstate. I'm wondering if it use to be a lot larger and run all over the airport area as well.
Old 21st September 2010, 07:58 PM   #6
roo6.2
L67 Race Tech

roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!roo6.2 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!

Looks like it was about a 1/3 larger according to this. Would be cool to see some pics

http://wikimapia.org/11675497/Burlington-Lake-former
Old 21st September 2010, 08:00 PM   #7
supeRtunermatt
pegarle bolsa

supeRtunermatt has a spectacular aura about (+150)supeRtunermatt has a spectacular aura about (+150)supeRtunermatt has a spectacular aura about (+150)

Journal star did an article on it some time back. Maybe check the archives.
supeRtunermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 08:00 PM   #8
Brooky2.0
I drive a Kia, my opinion is invalid.

Brooky2.0 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Brooky2.0 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Brooky2.0 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Brooky2.0 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Brooky2.0 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Brooky2.0 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Brooky2.0 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Brooky2.0 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Brooky2.0 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Brooky2.0 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Brooky2.0 has so much reputation he poops rainbows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kries View Post

SCR 32 Valve 4 Life Club- member #002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley View Post
SHO me your ****.
Brooky2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 06:09 PM   #9
Mazdadan
I have a TURBONER

Mazdadan has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Mazdadan has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Mazdadan has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Mazdadan has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Mazdadan has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Mazdadan has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Mazdadan has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Mazdadan has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Mazdadan has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Mazdadan has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Mazdadan has so much reputation he poops rainbows!

there used to be a bunch of crap left until they tore it all down to build apartments in the 90's. There was the old wooden pool about 50 yards from the back of our house I grew up in. There was also some other smaller items. My parents had collected some random items from the park, they don't come around often though...

pretty badass but I doubt it's worth "a ton of money"

Mazdadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 07:51 PM   #10
veemaxx
Weaksauce

veemaxx is on a distinguished road (+10)

As a kid I went there often, the water in the pool was so salty you could float easily, the pool was built like the old Muni pool with a concrete beach. I have good memories of the fun house, I spent hours there. It was a big deal that there was a spot on the floor coming in were compressed air would blow the girls skirts up. I also remember playing bumper cars. I must be old as dirt, learned to waterski at Oak Lake before the interstate went in and it got all cut up and filled in.
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:03 PM   #11
Johnny Five
Captain HOOK

Johnny Five has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Johnny Five has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Johnny Five has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Johnny Five has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Johnny Five has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Johnny Five has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Johnny Five has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Johnny Five has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Johnny Five has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Johnny Five has so much reputation he poops rainbows!Johnny Five has so much reputation he poops rainbows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kries View Post
Johnny Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 01:14 AM   #12
supercrackerbox
Resident Angry Bastard

supercrackerbox is a splendid one to behold (+650)supercrackerbox is a splendid one to behold (+650)supercrackerbox is a splendid one to behold (+650)supercrackerbox is a splendid one to behold (+650)supercrackerbox is a splendid one to behold (+650)supercrackerbox is a splendid one to behold (+650)supercrackerbox is a splendid one to behold (+650)supercrackerbox is a splendid one to behold (+650)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdadan View Post
If it's authentic and he can come up with proof to back it up, I'd bet it's quite valuable. People pay crazy money for crazy ****.

Balancing hope for a better world against the desire to **** everything.
supercrackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 03:30 AM   #13
schovil69
Scarred for life

schovil69 has a brilliant future (+1500)schovil69 has a brilliant future (+1500)schovil69 has a brilliant future (+1500)schovil69 has a brilliant future (+1500)schovil69 has a brilliant future (+1500)schovil69 has a brilliant future (+1500)schovil69 has a brilliant future (+1500)schovil69 has a brilliant future (+1500)schovil69 has a brilliant future (+1500)schovil69 has a brilliant future (+1500)schovil69 has a brilliant future (+1500)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdadan View Post
If it's authentic and he can come up with proof to back it up, I'd bet it's quite valuable. People pay crazy money for crazy ****.
Thanks Captain Obvious.
Originally Posted by Preston View Post
right, it's far more likely that the salvage title and alignment being off are completely unrelated and that you just didn't have $70 to get the car aligned.
actually it is because the car has different rims on it fucktard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntz
Oh fuck off, typing fast not givinafuckkk
schovil69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 05:48 AM   #14
1slows10

my dad just found out as of yesterday that this is indeed one from the amusement park! crazy crazy coincidence!

anyways hes getting it appraised today to get it up and sold! cant wait to see what the appraisel ends up being...the word has it there was only 10 total that made it out from the park and one of them sold 2 years ago in worse shape then my dads for 42k! so basically my dad is totally stoked

if anyone is actually interested in this ill post updates on what happens
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:13 AM   #15
supercrackerbox
Resident Angry Bastard

supercrackerbox is a splendid one to behold (+650)supercrackerbox is a splendid one to behold (+650)supercrackerbox is a splendid one to behold (+650)supercrackerbox is a splendid one to behold (+650)supercrackerbox is a splendid one to behold (+650)supercrackerbox is a splendid one to behold (+650)supercrackerbox is a splendid one to behold (+650)supercrackerbox is a splendid one to behold (+650)

I would be interested.

Balancing hope for a better world against the desire to **** everything.
supercrackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:53 AM   #16
Boostedbuford
Whore

Boostedbuford is on a distinguished road (+10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slows10 View Post
my dad just found out as of yesterday that this is indeed one from the amusement park! crazy crazy coincidence!

anyways hes getting it appraised today to get it up and sold! cant wait to see what the appraisel ends up being...the word has it there was only 10 total that made it out from the park and one of them sold 2 years ago in worse shape then my dads for 42k! so basically my dad is totally stoked

if anyone is actually interested in this ill post updates on what happens
42k for a ****ing carousel horse wtf.

On the 4th page of this PDA document, It say's that they can sell up to 60k.
http://www.capitolbeachlake.com/News.../2070LCBCA.pdf
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:55 PM   #17
Fyrtruck
Whore

Fyrtruck is on a distinguished road (+10)

Now why the hell wouldn't a bumper car sell for more than a carousel horse?
Fyrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:54 PM   #18
1slows10

Apparently these horses were originally hand painted by some big artist back in the day
Old 24th September 2010, 11:33 AM   #19
silversurfer
Whore

silversurfer will become famous soon enough (+50)

I went to lakeview school there and had some old guy talk to us about that amusement park. Too bad lincoln sucks now and doesn't think about fun things that bring in revenue like another theme park.
Old 24th September 2010, 11:37 AM   #20
GC8U
Spoon

GC8U has a brilliant future (+1500)GC8U has a brilliant future (+1500)GC8U has a brilliant future (+1500)GC8U has a brilliant future (+1500)GC8U has a brilliant future (+1500)GC8U has a brilliant future (+1500)GC8U has a brilliant future (+1500)GC8U has a brilliant future (+1500)GC8U has a brilliant future (+1500)GC8U has a brilliant future (+1500)GC8U has a brilliant future (+1500)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer View Post
I went to lakeview school there and had some old guy talk to us about that amusement park. Too bad lincoln sucks now and doesn't think about fun things that bring in revenue like another theme park.
Yeah, it's too bad a drag strip wouldn't bring in that kind of revenue.
GC8U is offline   Reply With Quote

StarCity Racing > Garage > Off Topic